Finding the best sippy cup for your baby is a daunting task. We will focus on buying considerations and share our top 5 picks.
Things to consider when purchasing a sippy cup:
- What material is the sippy cup made of? Choices will include, plastic, glass, stainless steel, silicone and biopolymer. Biopolymer is an environmentally friendly alternative to plastic made from items such as corn or rice husks. Plastic has its place but we try to avoid having plastic touch our babies food and drink. Plastic leaches chemicals (you may have heard of BPA/BPS). We are still discovering the nasty ill effects that chemicals in plastics (for that matter chemicals in general) have on our health. While it is difficult to find sippys and bottles that work well with zero plastic components the key is limiting the amount of plastic that touches your childs food and drink.
- Soft or hard spout cup? Soft spout sippy cups usually make for an easier transition from bottle or breast. Soft spout sippy cups have a silicone nipple that is shaped like a sippy spout instead of a teat. Hard spout sippy cups are more durable and sometimes come with a flip top or easy to close option.
- Handles or No Handles? Babies love to grip things and sippy cups designed with handles are perfect for babies little hands. Many brands have handles that can easily be removed so that your baby can use the cup with or without handles.
- Easy to Clean? You probably have seen the gross photos in the news or social media showing bacteria and mold growth on the inside valve area of certain brands of sippy cups. We suggest looking for sippy cups with a simple design that are easy to take apart, wash and reassemble.
- Should the sippy cup be leakproof? In a perfect world every sippy cup would be 100% leak proof and spill proof, making our lives as parents just a little easier. Here is the thing, all sippys will leak a little. Actually you would not want a sippy that your baby has to suck on with all their might. Cups that are overly difficult to suck from can lead to developmental problems and ear infections due to the softness of babies palettes.
TOP 5 Not Plastic Sippy Cups
1. Munchkin Miracle Stainless Steel 360 Sippy Cup – This sippy cup has it all! The main part of the cup is made from vacuum sealed 18/8 stainless steel. Stainless steel is a great alternative to plastic. The cup is durable and lightweight making it easy for older babies and toddlers to hold. The fact that it is insulated makes it a good choice for keeping drinks cold or if your little one prefers milk on the warmer side. The Munchkin Miracle cup is also spill proof. When your child is finished drinking it creates a leak proof seal. The sippy cup is valve free, which means your child does not need to suck to get the fluids out of the cup, a preferred option of dentists. Other than the stainless steel cup there is a small plastic component that twists onto the cup (the leak proof piece) and a silicone like disk that is placed on top of the plastic component. Replacement pieces for the Munchkin Miracle Sippy Cup are readily available as it is the same pieces used for the plastic version of this cup.
- 2. Thermos Foogo Insulated Soft Spout Sippy – The Thermos Foogo Sippy is incredibly popular. It is double walled 18/8 stainless steel for insulation and has a semi soft sippy spout. The base of the cup is nice and wide, holds 7oz. of liquid, and is top rack dishwasher safe. There is a removable insert where the valve is that must be removed for proper cleaning.
- 3. GoGlass Glass Sippy Cup Set These glass sippys are similar in style to a regular baby bottle. This set is interchangeable and includes one sippy spout as well as bottle nipples, but you can purchase more spouts from GoGlass or use other wide mouth spouts such as Thinkbaby sippy spouts.
- 4. Thinkbaby Stainless Steel Sippy Cup – Thinkbaby is known for their high quality products and rigorous product testing. We like this cup because it is 18/8 stainless steel (non-insulated), lightweight, has handles and also includes measurement markings on the side of the cup. This cup holds 9oz. of liquids.
- 5. Cukeng Sippy Lids – The Cukeng Sippy Lids are soft silicone lids that can quickly turn regular size glasses and stainless steel cups into a safe non-plastic sippy cup. They are sold in packs of 6 for currently for $15.99 on Amazon. That is a great deal! Especially if you already have some stainless steel, silicone or glass cups that are a good safe size for little kids.